blowing smoke: a blog
 

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Last week was slow on the workout front - 4 miles Thursday and 5 miles Saturday bring me to 153 for 2008 and 20.5 for June. I've definitely fallen off the previous pace for 200 by June 4, but it's still very doable. Just gotta get up tomorrow - I don't have many more days I can make up easily.

Started Season 3 of Weeds this weekend - great show. I'd forgotten how funny they make individual scenes, even when the overall plot slows down. Even better TV was the midseason finale of Battlestar Galactica (the second half was delayed by the writers' strike and is supposed to air in January 2009). I only wish it was 90 minutes - much more they could've done with the many plot movements this episode introduced.

This Alien Shore was excellent beginning to end. Following that are 2 Aristophanes plays - Clouds and Lysistrata. Clouds wasn't a bad story, but I hated the translation. It's like they wanted to make sure no one would enjoy reading it. I found a more contemporary translation online I might try to see if I enjoy it more, and can use something besides the book translation for future Aristophanes stuff.

The NBA Finals have been amazing. Great basketball from both sides every game. And Kobe choking in ways that put the Jordan comparisons to rest. Permanently. And I've found a new favorite villain, a role that's been unfilled for me since Vlade Divac. To me a basketball villain is someone who really distorts, even ruins, the game. Divac always managed it by flopping and harrassing refs into taking his side without really doing any shooting, rebounding, or defending. Sasha Vujacic substitutes reckless aggression for defense and then whines whenever someone breathes on him. Another good reason for the Lakers to lose.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment