blowing smoke: a blog
 

Friday, May 30, 2008

2.5 miles yesterday plus 1.5 today (had to get to work early on the bus) makes 46 on the month, 129 on the year. Reasonable chance I'll hit 50 for May, but I'll need 60 in June to have a shot at my goal. One trouble I'm running into is how I can both walk 2.5+ miles in the morning when my 10-minute-away gym opens at 5:30 and still make it to the bus stop by 7:30, including having a decent breakfast. I'll keep working on it.

Alas the Spurs are out of the playoffs. They played well, the Lakers are just actually playing better. I can live with that - can't win the championship every year.

Finished Apology and Crito without any further appreciation of Plato/Socrates. Maybe it's just stylistic - while he's using clever phrases and making opponents look bad, it just seems to me like bright shiny distractions rather than really praising the truth. I understand his respect for law is more of a law vs tyrant distinction than law vs individual rights - maybe I can appreciate that. Still just haven't found much in there.

Before the next reading (from Aristophanes I believe) I'm taking a break for a sci fi novel by CS Friedman - This Alien Shore. Loved her Coldfire trilogy, and so far this one is fun too.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment