blowing smoke: a blog
 

Sunday, May 25, 2008

2.5 miles Thursday, and 5 miles Saturday brings me to totals of 37.5 for the month and 120.5 for the year. I've now doubled my miles since April 10, and am on pretty solid ground for getting the 100 miles by July 4. Missing today (too much else to do) combined with the gym being closed tomorrow brings me a little back to earth, but still good progress.

Finished God's Politics - nothing really hit me beyond what I wrote before. Now reading More than Human, about the potential for genetic enhancement of humans. Definitely not my cup of tea philosophically, but if proven safe, I don't know if I could object to others using them. The problem then becomes what of the people who don't want to use it but can't compete? The author actually mentions the attention-focusing benefits of Ritalin for non-ADD people, and I've had students ask me if they should take it to keep up on SAT scores. There is a marked benefit, and I don't know if people who don't want to take a drug should be effectively penalized. Sorry I do know - they shouldn't. Still, it's a well-thought-out, well-researched book that's enjoyable reading. Kinda the opposite of God's Politics where I liked the direction but not the writer.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment