blowing smoke: a blog
 

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

2 miles today, bringing May to 39.5 and 2008 to 122.5. May is now tied with January for most miles, and I plan on shattering that tomorrow. Missing Sunday has me a bit behind schedule on the July 4th deadline - I need to average 2.4 miles a day between now and then (or 2.7 miles per likely-to-walk day if I take one day off a week), so I think some extra distance on the weekends will be required.

Wife got me my birthday present early on Saturday - 6 courses from The Teaching Company: Augustine: Philosopher and Saint; From Yao to Mao: 5000 Years of Chinese History; Great Debate: Advocates and Opponents of the American Constitution; Particle Physics for Non-Physicists: A Tour of the Microcosmos; Reason & Faith: Philosophy in the Middle Ages; War, Peace, and Power: Diplomatic History of Europe, 1500–2000. Should be fun commutes for several months as that's 70 hours of CD lectures for lil ole me. Woohoo Wife!

As I continue More Than Human, it's surprising me how much the direction he feels bionics will move us in matches up with the more-evolutionary plotline of the Julian May series I just read - towards a mental sharing and near-unity. I have to admit I can see that, although I'm too cynical to use the possibility as justification. I'm 100% in favor of research for cures, for improving to normalcy, but I still don't like the societal pressures and increasing socioeconomic gap enhancement would bring. Almost done with it, though, and I definitely recommend it for anyone interested in this area. Next up I'm gonna try to tackle Plato's Apology and Crito and see if I can actually start progressing through the Great Books' 10 Year Reading Plan.

And lest my tower appear with too ivory a sheen, every series of the NBA playoffs this year has had memorable games and great performances. Rooting for Celtics-Spurs, I think, but I just want seven games in every series as everyone is peaking at the right time. Antonio McDyess with over 20 points in 2008? Crazy it is, just crazy.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment