blowing smoke: a blog
 

Saturday, May 03, 2008

1/3 of the year down (technically slightly less as this is the fewest days of any 4 months, but still), so figured I'd sum up the progress. January 39, February 14, March 6.5, April 23.5 brings us to 83 for 2008. Way behind what I'd hoped, but 83 deliberate miles better than any of my first 31 years.

4 miles today, making the 2008 total 87 - I could pass 90 tomorrow. Woot woot. There was a league tournament (men, not kids) on the court below me this morning, so I didn't get as much reading done as usual. It was interesting to watch how intense people get over a Saturday morning game - hard fouls, constant whining at the refs. Yay sports. Or something.

To track one additional thing from the beginning of the year, I think I have solidly beat Mike into the ground in our blogging challenge. Yeah yeah 2 kids, getting a Master's, all kinds of excuses. I still win.

I love watching the Spurs. Everyone always says they can't win cuz they're old and they shouldn't cuz they're boring, and they just keep destroying other teams. And somehow not having players accused of crimes related to alcohol, drugs, strip clubs, and/or firearms. Wonder if those are connected. (Side note: I know individuals who enjoy each of those without harm to others or public spectacle - good for all of you. Combining almost any 2 on that list is pretty much asking for it.)

Metaconcert was great. The next Julian May book - Jack the Bodiless - is maintaining the greatness. Since her narrator owns a sci-fi bookstore, I've picked up several excellent recommendations from this reading as well. Haven't seen many movies recently, although I'm eager to see Iron Man. Saw Varsity Blues on cable today, and it was impressively cheesy.

While walking today, I read an old Newsweek article on Obama's foreign policy - he's holding out his time actually living abroad as sufficient experience and possibly even superior to McCain's and Clinton's political experience. Dunno about that comparison, but he's also getting slammed for saying he'd be willing for the country to talk to any other country/government. I don't see any problem with that - not for anyone who calls to get to talk to the President, but why wouldn't we have someone out of the thousands in the administration listen to what another country has to say? Often it might not help, but why not be open to the chance that a country is willing to make concrete improvements if we can talk to them, and agree to reward good behavior? Seems like it could also help resolve our hyperpower hubris, at least in image.

See I'm not just beating Mike because I'll blog my number of walking laps. I have something to say at least occasionally.

posted by Unknown | 1 comments

Comments:
Yay 90! I'll be rooting for you at 100 this week too! :)
 
Post a Comment