blowing smoke: a blog
 

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I realized I didn't give an exercise update in the last post. I haven't been to the gym in far too long, but I will give myself 3 miles credit for Washington walking (I promise it's a very conservative estimate), so that would be 6.5 miles for March, 59.5 miles for 2008. I will try to get these numbers up in April. Still that's 60 more miles than most of my years.

I'm not sure whether Christianity or interpersonal relationships or both are being exploited by this book, but something's getting defamed.

I had an experience on the flight to Virginia/DC that prompted me to try to write a My Turn essay for Newsweek. Unfortunately I've typed it out and thought on it a few days, and haven't been able to get it more than half the required length so I'm just posting it here. Enjoy if you'd like, or just skip it and wait for the next post.


Fellow airline passengers treat each other much like most common travelers. We avoid looking at each other more than we have to; we shuffle through too few lines of traffic; we cut each other off in those lines or getting to the overhead compartment, sometimes offering an apologetic gesture or look to assuage our guilt. I see one major difference though - if I walk through a crowded hall or driving on a freeway, nobody slams their weight into my knees.

On a recent flight, I noticed a teenage girl taking the seat in front of me and thought/hoped/self-deluded she wouldn't lean back. As soon as the plane was in the air, though, that seat came flying back as far as it could while she curled up catlike in the seat. Having experienced far too many seat-slams, I'd placed my knees at an angle and no contact was made. Over the course of the 3-hour flight, I put my legs in a closer-to-straight position (this counts as stretching for me on an airplane), only to discover her faith that the seat could go back farther as she regularly pushed hard against the seat back to see if it would go further. At one point, even the flight attendant noticed the situation and said loudly, "Wow I hope she's comfortable up there!"

I take some of the blame - I'm 6'5", so my knees are closer to the seat in front of me than most peoples'. And the airlines can take their share of the responsibility too, as they constantly take away more and more space from each passenger. However the loudest lamenters of this reduced personal space usually try to increase their own allotment by leaning back into mine. I've had people throw the seat back actually into my knees, and not move even when I yelp audibly. I've had seats come back just after the beverage cart passes through, splashing my drink onto my pants. One gentleman, on being able to feel my knees in his seat, thought they were problems with the seat and ground his elbows into the "lumps."

I have tried to explain this to leaners with a light tap on the shoulder and a friendly request to move the seat forward at least a little bit. The look I get usually implies my knees are invading their personal space, and while they accept a compromise position, they usually forget and repeat the action in an amazingly small span of time.

I'm not asking people to not lean their seats, just to use some courtesy when they do. Look back and check with the person behind you before leaning your surprisingly heavy seat towards them, especially if drinks have been served. I promise to give you as much space as I can, and most of my fellow long-legged passengers will do the same. And all of our knees will live happily ever after.

posted by Unknown | 2 comments

Comments:
As a fellow member of homo sapiens not lacking in verticality, my 6'7" frame has afforded me more than my fair share of situations all to similar to your own.

However, years ago I found something that is much more passive aggressive than the simple tap and request for a change. It is more of a proactive step, if you will.

Fortunately, I do not travel via air as much as I used to and have never actually purchased one let alone been afforded an opportunity to use it.

I can imagine that usage of this device may lead to heightened aggression and greater potential for air rage. The difference is that for a change it will be felt by the person in lower numbered rows rather than higher ones.

As for your recent brush with this unfortunate behavior type, I can only say that I am really thankful that the flight attendant was doing their job directly and not merely hoping that the open mention of a unfortunate situation would actually lead the offensive person to correct their behavior. After all, direct behavior modification rarely, if ever, works. At least the flight attendant made *you* feel heard, and that is what matters here, right?</sarcasm>
 
at 6'6 1/3" and as a person who flies once a week i've learned to be aware of seating situations. I mostly fly Southwest airlines which is load your cattle up airlines. Since I travel so much I get what is called A Listed meaning I can get my boarding past 36 hours in advance in lieu of the 24. I usually board no later then the 5th person on the plane. Which means that I can either have the seat where there is none in front of it or the wing where their is extra room.

Now on American I can usually ask the girl at the counter to give me a exit row upon arriving at the airport. Most airlines do not allow people into their exit rows unless they see you first. Most counter personal once they see me give me an exit row. I've also noticed the when your nice to the people at the counter they will work with you. But get there an hour and a half before or they will be gone.

Jet Blue does not have much room in their planes and once flying back from NEw York the women behind me was puking her guts out on a full flight. The negative is when I got off the plane I noticed she three up on my coat. JetBlue felt bad for me and gave me a round trip ticket which i'm using to fly to Long Beach for Mother's Day.
 
Post a Comment