blowing smoke: a blog
 

Friday, March 28, 2008

Sorry for the prolonged absence - I was out of town for a week and a half without the right timing of Internet access, and then I was just lazy.

Suggs commented on my last post with a link to a transcript of Obama's speech. This is the real deal, folks - win or lose, he's inspired me more than any political figure/speech I can recall, and I hope he has the chance to further these ideas in the Presidency or elsewhere. I'm certainly open to anyone else's political inspirations - leave a comment so I can check them out.

My out-of-town included a trip to DC which was great to catch up with friends. One day we walked around the National Mall and the nearby monuments - walked by Washington, WWII, Vietnam, Lincoln, and within eyesight of the Korean War Memorial. Lincoln always is more powerful than I remember - something about the temple he's in, the marble statue, and the words inscribed - not written, inscribed - on the walls. We also went to the National Portrait Gallery, admittedly primarily to see Colbert's picture by the second floor restrooms.

Readingwise, I finished The Many-Colored Land and through The Golden Torc and am currently on The Nonborn King, all in the same series. Great fun reads.

March Madness is especially satisfying this year, with UT stomping Stanford tonight. It's not so much that they won, but that they beat Stanford at its own game in the paint as well as with the quickness and shooting that Stanford couldn't contest. I like the way the team takes on every opponent at its strongest point, holds on/pulls ahead, and forces them to respond with UT's strengths. I suppose it's risky, but it also seems to work well as UT has beaten so many good teams. Here's hoping this holds against Memphis on Sunday, which would make the third #1 seed to lose to UT this year.

I found out today that a coworker was also raised in the church of Christ, but in a much more old-school one than I knew existed in the 90s. We talked for half an hour about stories of our home congregations, and our religious experiences since - we're both heavily seekers looking for the amazing a capella worship style of coC but with less dogma. She said I'm the first person she's met in a while who grew up coC and is still willing to talk about it.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment