blowing smoke: a blog
 

Sunday, March 09, 2008

I rarely find much to remember in the UT alumni maazine The Alcalde, but there was a good quote in a story about award-winning teacher Joan Shiring. One of her 3 principles is described by this quote from child psychologist Haim Ginott:

I am a survivor of a concentration camp. My eyes saw what no man should witness: gas chambers built by learned engineers; children poisoned by educated physicians; infants killed by trained nurses; women and babies shot and burned by high school and college graduates. So I am suspicious of education.
My request is: Help your students become more human. Your efforts must never produce learned monsters, skilled psychopaths, educated Eichmanns.
Reading, writing, and arithmetic are important only if they serve to make our children more humane.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment