blowing smoke: a blog
 

Saturday, March 15, 2008

2.5 miles today, so 3.5 miles today, 56.5 miles for 2008. Woot! We'll see what will happen for the next coupla weeks though as I'm about to travel. I drive to Dallas tomorrow for Java training Mon-Thurs, which should be fun and will let me meet up with some friends. Then we leave (5:40AM departure!) Friday for a wedding in Winchester, VA, and then a few days of vacation in DC. So good times, but lots of moving around.

A friend sent me this story about The Equity Project Charter School, which is paying teachers $125,000 plus bonuses for meeting strict standards. The two most interesting things in the comments has been that the principal only getting $90K seems as exciting to teachers as their salaries, and that all the union folks are strident about this school having to be union. Trust me as a programmer - when the compensation is high enough, the instinct to collaborate falls apart. I really look forward to hearing how this works. I saw one comment from a teacher who would prefer to get $100K and have a half-time assistant handling supplies and other bureaucratic tasks. That sounds like an interesting tradeoff. Anyway I'll be keeping an eye on it.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment