blowing smoke: a blog
 

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Slow week for blogging, and working out. This is my second blog of the week, which means 2 more than workouts. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Finished Trigger, which was better than I expected, especially because of a little epilogue that indicates research will always raise at least as many problems as it solves. Now reading A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman, about the 14th century in Europe - another Andy loan. Pretty good so far, but just dry enough that I'll probably read some in-between books. Descriptions of the plague, the medieval church, and France's conduct of the Hundred Years' War have actually been making me laugh. Anyone interested in this part of history would enjoy it.

Saw Children of Men Thursday night - nothing amazing, but fairly good story. And I always like Michael Caine trying not to be Michael Caine. And got Wife to watch Stardust - she agrees it's awesome. It doesn't have the one-liners to be a cult classic like Princess Bride, but I don't remember a better fantasy movie outside The Trilogy. Like I'd expect from Neil Gaiman, great story elements that I didn't expect or see coming. Tonight we're hoping to watch the end of Dexter Season 1.

Not much else going on - work's a little insane but not bad. Thinking about volunteering for the Obama campaign as Hillary apparently has strong Texas support. I wonder how well he'd have to do in the 7 states that are voting before next Wednesday for her to concede (she's not really campaigning in most of those), but I doubt that would happen. So Texas could actually be important. Yea us!

One spelling note that's been bugging me - seems like many many writers have recently been confusing "rein" and "reign." The first refers to a part of a horse's harness or the attempt to limit or control someone. The second is someone's rule, usually a monarch or deity. Wish I could remember an example, but I've been seeing it often enough to annoy me.

posted by Unknown | 1 comments

Comments:
"Rein them in" versus "reign of terror".
 
Post a Comment