blowing smoke: a blog
 

Monday, February 11, 2008

At work, we have a bulletin board with every employee's picture and a few pithy facts about each person. One employee's "Likes" are "Reading and Fine Wines." While I applaud not drinking swill, does this mean that the books can be crap, she just wants her eyes moving across text? (I'll beat ya'll to this one: if so, she can just read this blog!)

Watching Texas play Kansas in basketball. We had a 7-point lead that's turned into a 4-point halftime deficit. Looks like we can't rebound this year, and when we have to depend on 3-point shooting, it usually means an early Tournament exit. On the other hand, I consider my team to have a chance against Kansas, so maybe I've just been spoiled by success. As the second half picks up, I'm enjoying watching this Mason guy pull them down - great rebounder, especially at 6'3".

Tonight I was helping a coworker figure out a new SQL view, and came up with a solution that was actually creative, efficient, and (dare I say?) elegant. It's rare I get to do work I'm really proud of pulling together - most of the problems, while challenging, are solved with the same basic tools. I also helped analyze a few bugs today - I feel like I'm really able to contribute something fairly unique here. I've always been part of a small but highly-skilled team, and usually a junior member, so this feeling is kinda new and definitely fun. Still not sure how I feel about the overall company, but that's more social issues than any big-picture concerns, and I'm enjoying the role. It's a good week.

And Obama and Clinton are debating in Austin next week. We never even get political commercials, much less a local debate! I like the weird election year that is 2008. I'm trying to get tickets, but I'm skeptical that it won't be doled out to party supporters. Volunteers, I would understand, but I'm betting it's more donors than worker bees. The Democrats aren't that much different from the Republicans.

Texas is up by 2, and Mason is a Monster on the boards! This is fun to watch. Gonna pay more attention and leave off here.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment