blowing smoke: a blog
 

Friday, January 18, 2008

Sorry it's been a few days. For the workout record, walked 2 more miles Wednesday morning, so 25 miles + 1 basketball. Haven't had time since, but mebbe tomorrow.

My grandmother died Tuesday night. Probably a good thing - she was in a lot of pain from a recent surgery, and the immediate cause of death was the decision to up her morphine to keep her from suffering. It's been at least 5 years since we first thought this was going to happen, but she just always kept going. Her heart even lasted a couple days longer than they expected on the morphine. That's who she was. And 93 years, 4 daughters, 9 grandkids (including me, which really should've made her life absolutely fulfilled regardless of everything else!), and 7 great-grandkids sketches out a pretty rewarding life.

Trying to think of what to say at the funeral tomorrow. I'm thinking I might go with the theme of what I learned from her:
1) Perception: Even after macular degeneration took hold, she still managed to notice my dad's hair from across a crowded room. If you're not able to perceive everything, make sure you see what counts!
2) Interstate Frontage Roads in Round Rock are One-Way: When turning out of a drive-thru, well, yes, she went the wrong way for about a quarter-mile. Fortunately Texas drivers are friendly (not counting Houston).
3) Patience: When she'd visit Hawaii, she'd sleep in my bed. Having an audience who wouldn't leave, I kept asking tons of questions far later than my parents knew I was awake. No matter how late it went, she answered them all.
4) Loyalty: I was watching Cowboys-Redskins with her once, and just to be ornery, I said "Go Redskins!" Suddenly I realized I was sitting on the floor because this 70-year-old woman had physically kicked me off the couch.
5) Security: She often stayed with me in Hawaii when my parents went to national conventions, and one year a hurricane hit. The lights went out, but she just kept reading my favorite book to me over and over, and I wasn't worried anything would happen because Grandma was there to take care of it.

That's probably more than I need to say, so we'll just see how the flow's going at the service.

In other news, I saw Wall Street on Wednesday. While the computers and phones looked ridiculous, it was great to see many good actors so much younger, and it was a good movie/story. And yet Charlie Sheen's probably made tons more from Two and a Half Men. Gordon Gekko wouldn't be surprised.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment