blowing smoke: a blog
 

Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Long Tail was a great read - I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in this newfangled Internet economy. One of the sales guys at my company sent a summary of a speech he'd heard about the new economy at a Web retail convention, and well, I hope the speaker acknowledged Chris Anderson, because it was basically an outline of the book. First book I've read in a long time that seems currently relevant. :-)

Already moved through an interesting novel - Finity. It's based on the quantum multiverse theory that whenever more than one thing could happen, reality splits into as many pieces as it takes for each outcome to happen in one universe. Don't want to ruin the plotline, so I'll just say it's interesting if you like conceptual sci-fi.

And my next book is Team of Rivals, about Lincoln's cabinet. Only 2 pages in, but already I have trouble putting it down.

Er, or I would have trouble putting it down, but it's March Madness time. :-) Only got 24 of 32 in my bracket for the first round, but if Texas beats Florida in the final, I think I still win. Right now I'm watching Xavier launch enough 3s to be up on Ohio State by 8 with 8 minutes to go. It would mess up my bracket, but it would mess up everyone's bracket, so I'll root for chaos. My only regret would be that I'd love to see Kevin Durant show Greg Oden up face-to-face before the draft. Oh well there will be many years of NBA dominance for Durant, and I'll be a fan of his team just like I am of the Tennessee Titans.

Do you think anyone on the selection committee fills out a tournament bracket? If so, do they pick any upsets?

This week I've also had my annual spring-is-coming chest cold. It's more of a sore throat/coughing kinda thing, but the doctor said it's just congestion from the sinuses all the way down the throat. No bronchitis yet - I really prefer to avoid that when I can.

That's about all I've got. It's been a week full of disease, work, basketball, and the patience of the oh-so-kind-and-lovely Wife (I really am a lucky man).

posted by Unknown | 1 comments

Comments:
OHhh-so-kind-and-lovely
 
Post a Comment