blowing smoke: a blog
 

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

We've been iced in (more or less) for 4 days now. I don't know what most people do with that time, but my wife has developed an addiction. Yes, I left a link lying around, and one hit of Puzzle Pirates, and she was a goner. Quote of the Day: "How does Mom expect me to become a successful pirate when she keeps calling all the time?"

Also heard an amusing commercial which I guess has someone singing through a voice box (my only experience of those being the Vietnam vet on SouthPark) a ditty with the tagline "Cigarettes don't always kill you." (I might've gotten the words wrong but that's the gist.) Somewhat morbid, but as a breather of cigarette smoke for far too many years, I'm game for it.

I took some of the time this weekend to read Those Who Watch by Robert Silverberg, a sci-fi book from 1967 predicting the wonderful electronic world of 1982. Good first-contact kinda book with interesting alien cultures.

And American Schadenfreude premiered last night. It's my name for the first few weeks of American Idol where more truly painful performances are shown than good or even decent singers. This isn't the first-round audition - these people have been vetted for embarrassing performances. And either they're not told of their novelty status, or we have far better actors in America than watching most TV or movies suggests. Of course, I sit here disgusted, but I'm watching.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment