blowing smoke: a blog
 

Friday, October 27, 2006

It's finally time for daylight savings. Got into the office at 8AM (have already heard 3 people ask me what I'm doing here so early, and the one who usually makes that joke is on vacation), and the sun was just coming up over the building next to us, so the office had the sunlight on the ceiling, but not down to the desk level. It's a pretty cool effect, but it's also weird to have sunrise at 8AM. Oh well, most importantly, I get an extra hour of sleep Sunday night. :-)

Finished Far Horizons - it lived up to its potential all the way through and gave me several series to dig into for future reading. For now, though, I'm on the last stretch of Rise of the West - it's taken me 4 months, but I'll settle for that as it's 800 pages and I've read a lot in between chapters. It's interesting to read about the impact of the democratic revolution in the world, but only the French one. The author's American, but focuses on the French revolution as Western civilization was more immediately and violently impacted by it than our little Tea Party. He ends his analysis at World War I, assuming (probably correctly) that his viewpoint in the 1960s doesn't allow enough perspective to analyze post-WWI history. Any suggestions for a good overview of any of the time since then?

Going to try to research candidates this weekend for the 11/7 election (mm, eeprulS). Will try to post thoughts next week as reminders for myself and anyone else who's interested.

posted by Unknown | 1 comments

Comments:
it's amazing all the heat Washington took from Jefferson, Madison and Monroe and yet even at the defeat of his party and his unwillingness to be involved knowing that it would have destroyed a young republic.
 
Post a Comment