blowing smoke: a blog
 

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Another reading note: My trip to Canada included 2 breaks from the history book. One was for The Forever War by John Haldeman. It's military sci-fi like Old Man's War, but once again has a societal story spanning 1000 years that is very impressive. Definitely recommended. And well-written - got the Hugo and Nebula awards in 1975.

I also read a book by Ralph Wood on the theology of Lord of the Rings. Apparently the Silmarillion flushes out Middle Earth as a pre-Christ real Earth with Biblical metaphysics. Almost makes me want to read it if his son hadn't done such a pathetic, exploitative job of pooling his dad's notes (which he's apparently doing again with a "never published" Middle Earth novel - gah). Sam certainly defines the suffering servant aspect of the Messiah, and the perspectives on Gollum were interesting. Anyway, if you like Christian theology and LotR, I'd recommend it. If not, I doubt you'd find especially much in it.

posted by Unknown | 1 comments

Comments:
I read the Forever War about six years ago and loved it. I'm glad you stumbled upon it and enjoyed it, too.
 
Post a Comment