blowing smoke: a blog
 

Monday, June 20, 2005

Here's a question for folks - what can I do about/for all those people on street corners? I'm sure some of them are scamming, some of them are just looking for free handouts, but it seems likely some of them are trying to get back on their feet. So I'm not a big fan of giving someone cash, but what can I do to help them? Is there a phone number I can give them for a place that can assess their situation and give real help? Any other ideas?

If anyone's a basketball fan and didn't see last night's Game 5, catch it when it's replayed as an Instant Classic. Horry just caught on fire the entire 4th quarter/OT, and I couldn't believe how open they left him for the final shot. It was a great game to watch.

Accountability: Played basketball outdoors Saturday morning. And I'll claim light-exercise credit for loads of drinks bought at Sam's on Sunday, and loaded/unloaded in the car. Yeah, not so much this morning. Didn't get to sleep until after midnight, and so the alarm at 6AM didn't do too much good. Will try to make it tonight. Also, I started following the Weight Watchers point system this week, and discovered that my Tuesday racquetball combined with just one hour of basketball would meet my activity goals. I know that shouldn't make it harder to wake up in time to get to the gym, but it does.

Things I've Learned: 1) Never, ever, under any circumstances leave Robert Horry unguarded at the 3-point line in the final minute. 2) Here are the rules for castling, including that it is forbidden when the king is in check. 3) The Weight Watchers point formula is (calories/50)+(fat grams/12)-(fiber grams/5).

posted by Unknown | 1 comments

Comments:
If the general theme is "I'm hungry", you can carry around a bunch of prepackaged nuts, cheese&crackers, etc. Then by giving them food, you are avoiding the "what are they gonna do with my dollar?" And even if they're fake, you've just spend 10 cents and given them a small snack :)

Elizabeth Thomas
 
Post a Comment