blowing smoke: a blog
 

Thursday, June 23, 2005

This is one of the scariest things I've ever seen (CNN link, no registration). Doesn't this mean that the government can decide it's in the public interest for my property (which could include more than land) to go to someone else?

I'm guessing from the limited info in the article that this is part of a planned public policy that is meant to benefit the displaced residents as well as the commercial developers. I still don't think that's justification for this kind of intrusion. And the imitations could be horrendous.

Are there any readers who can think of any reason this should be allowed?

btw, here's what Urban Renewal Eminent Domain looks like elsewhere.

posted by Unknown | 1 comments

Comments:
I seem to recall from some history or government class that government actually doesn't have to compensate for eminent domain, or maybe it was just that it's a government agency that determines fair value, so value is not guaranteed.

I apologize, though, as the article never indicates the plaintiffs in question were not compensated. Didn't mean to rabble-rouse, so I'm removing it from the post.
 
Post a Comment