blowing smoke: a blog
 

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Played racquetball at lunch. I still have yet to win a game (and didn't make it out of 3rd place in 3-man games today), but I think I'm making them work harder for it.

Finished Rabelais' Pantagruel last night. Still don't see much of the classic in it, although I saw things that might have become plot/character standards later. Non-bad-guy thieves are the main things that come to mind, but it also reminded me of a comic book at points. One chapter could have been the Justice League if our heroes were all horny French men. But I could see the Simpsons or Family Guy being too current and topical to people in 20 years, much less 400. I'm glad I read it, but I doubt I'll come back to read the rest of his works.

So now starting The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody. It's a pretty tongue-in-cheek look at history that I think has lots of interesting tidbits, but it's tough to distinguish facts from jokes. And it was assembled after the author's death, which is a red flag ever since I attempted Silmarillion. But it's fun and will be a good book before I tackle Plato.

I've noticed a distinct Soapbox tendency since I started doing it. To those who have suffered from IMs, my blog comments, or my day-to-day babble, my most humble apologies. Hopefully something quasi-useful will come of these ramblings.

posted by Unknown | 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment