blowing smoke: a blog
 

Monday, May 23, 2005

Just read: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster. Yeah, it's a kids' book (probly middle school for maximum effect although elementary students could enjoy the pictures and imagery), but it's a nice collection of word plays and fun stories that is entertaining the whole way through. Thanks to the fiancee for the recommendation. Now back to Rabelais' Pantagruel.

In another reading note, Fiancee has encountered the productivity-killing experience of reading Harry Potter. She is valiantly resisting starting Goblet of Fire until our 8-hour-each-way road trip this weekend. Dunno how - I can't hold off on these books, especially the first time.

This morning was amazingly productive - hit the gym (only 2.5 miles in 23 minutes, but with the elliptical set to max elevation and 2/3 max resistance), got the car gassed up and inspected, reviewed some Oracle tuning material, and dropped off my dry cleaning. Then I got to work and haven't been as productive. Dunno why - I like the people here, and the work is a nice balance that's nowhere close to drudgery or impossible. Discipline's never been my forte.

Might be why I'm interviewing for another job Wednesday. My current company's just unstable enough to leave me open to interesting offers, and this might be one. Of course, I like my current company enough to make sure it's a better situation before jumping. If it happens, this would be my 5th job in a career that's just passing 7 years. I don't want to jump around, I'd like to find somewhere to put roots, but I've had 2 good opportunities start destabilizing (here and my first job), one lifestyle decision (leaving my second job since they shut down the office in Austin), and one indescribably awful environment. Most of my friends seem to have similar career paths thus far, so while I'm more extreme, I don't think I'm beyond the pale. And maybe this interview won't work out, the current job will, and it will be 4 jobs for 8 or more years. Who knows.

Woohoo! Darth Tater got here. A much-needed desk decoration.

Well, back to at least semi-productivity of the job.

posted by Unknown | 2 comments

Comments:
Woo-hoo Charles! Way to go on the working out thing.... Maybe you can motivate me to get my butt back in action! And yeah Dark Tater!! I am sure it is much fun and a fabulous conversation piece!!
 
I just started Harry Potter 4. Yeah, I'm a slacker.
 
Post a Comment